Friday, October 18, 2013

Mountains of Sorrow


This is not a tech post but I wanted to post it here anyway.

About 2-3 weeks ago while shopping at my favorite LP store, Electric Avenue Music I asked for some reason when the next Amos Lee LP was scheduled for release and if it would be on available on vinyl. I was informed that Amos Lee indeed had a new release scheduled in a few weeks and yes it would be available on Vinyl. I had discovered Amos Lee, a retired Philadelphia school teacher a couple of years ago and his music with a mix of Philly soul, rock and folk has always made me feel good so I pre-ordered the LP, not knowing anything about it, including the release date.

I completely forgot I had ordered the LP.

Fast forward until 2 weeks ago when a drunk driver stole my little brother from me, his young family and anyone that ever knew him or those yet to know him. A couple days after the tragic accident I stood inside Sam's Club picking out pictures for the funeral home slide show when Electric Avenue Music called me to report that my Amos Lee LP had arrived. I could not answer the call or the voice mail. I was too upset while creating the slideshow for the funeral home to answer the phone call. Later in the day I asked my son Kevin to pick up the LP for me. Kevin picked it up and it sat in my LP Browser until a couple days after the services.

Once I looked at the album cover I was surprised and shocked. The album title, "Mountains of Sorrow" surprised me. Then listening to the main title song I felt as if it was especially written from Amos Lee to me. From the opening line when you hear "when I awoke from my dream awaken by the darkness of the night, I was unprepared for the unseen ..."

Although I love music so much, very few, if any have touched me in such a way as this song - with this tragic event. This album and it's title track will always strike directly at my heart when I think of my little brother and how I will always miss him so.

Sadness has entrenched my soul and I have a feeling it will take a long long time for it to let go of me.



I love you Ian Mann.... Mountains of Sorrow could not have described it any better.

You can learn more about Amos Lee at www.amoslee.com.

1 comment:

  1. Hi William,
    I just heard about this story and saw your blog post here. I want you to know it really got to me, and I am so very sorry for your loss. Your kind words for our store and the love of what we do has been nothing short of inspirational, and for this record to have been released at this time is beyond coincidence. The spirit of your brother will forever be attached to the sentiment of this record, and while it may prove too much to listen to on a regular basis, those memories will live on forever in this album. I think Amos would be extremely humbled and touched by your story as well, as this is a very good example of the power of music to connect with our emotions in a way no other art form can. Our thoughts are with you and your family.--Jason & Eryn

    ReplyDelete