Friday, October 18, 2013

Galaxy Gear - Wearable Technology Arrives?

Once I decided to take a pause with my Windows Phone and look elsewhere for a productive smartphone that can do everything I needed, I decided to go back to Android. It has been several years since I used an Android phone so I wanted to make sure I picked the right one. While thinking about this I read some very good reviews of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and knowing that I had previously issued a Note 2 earlier this year and hearing very positive things about it I decided this would be the one to try out. It also helped that Microsoft has just released their Office 365 app on Android so I knew I would still be productive with this smartphone.


Then I started reading about the Galaxy Gear and saw this commercial advertising the new Gear Smart Watch.



Wearable technology is in it's infancy and there is a long way to go. I actually believe that the previously released and much hyped "Google Glass" was a disappointment and most users were uncomfortable wearing it and those they were talking to were freaked out by it. However the new Galaxy Gear is a step in the right direction. With this watch you can read email messages, text messages, receive social media notifications, check the time (how quaint) and answer phone calls without grabbing your smartphone.

There is even a 1.9 megapixel camera built into the wristband so you can snap a quick picture without using your smartphone. I took a couple pictures with it this morning and below are the results. No bad for such a small camera.




I will be using this while on vacation in Disney World so I will be giving it a work out and will write a review after I get some real experience with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment