Friday, November 1, 2013

Mountains of Sorrow for My Little Brother

My little brother's soul lives on in my heart.
I apologize - this is not a tech article, but I just had to post this somewhere. 

This song is amazing to me -- the fates of god or something has plagued me with it's importance. First I pre-order the (vinyl) LP knowing nothing about it - other then I really like Amos Lee's music, then my little brother is murdered by a drunk driver - then this LP arrives as I am immersed in funeral preparations and then sits un-listened to for a week afterward. Then I play the LP and hear this song. It seems a message from Amos Lee is being sent to me - that everything will be OK.

The first verse speaks to me about the moment I was awoken by my mom who said that Ian had been killed in an auto accident and I rushed to the hospital hoping that the nightmare was untrue, The second version touches on the moments of standing in line with my family as each and every person who Ian touched passed by and with each one my heart broken into smaller and smaller pieces. The final verse tells about my little house and family where I find my solitude and where Amos even sings that there "is not much too it and I won't leave much behind".




Ian Mann --- I Love You so much - I am so very sad.  However I thank Amos Lee for the weird magic of this LP arriving when it did. because in this little piece of vinyl you will always live. My heart has a little corner where you reside..... forever.

Only brothers, like you and me , one a far right conservative (you) and another, a Star Trek liberal (me) could love each other so very much. Sadness is surrounding and haunting me Ian but I do not want the pain to ever go away because with it - you are forever with me.

Little Brother... your loss is a "mountain of sorrow" which I fear I will never recover from. I know that someday, in the vastness of space and time I will be with you again, and we will, just like Amos Lee sings in this song. "raise our glasses" to each other again.

In November I will be able to see Amos Lee live at the Tower in Philadelphia and I very much look forward to that.

My brother will be there with me and I may even buy him a beer,

No comments:

Post a Comment