Friday, October 11, 2013

A Personal Loss

This morning ended perhaps the worst week of my life. As I wrote in the previous post I lost my little brother, Ian (35 years old) when his motorcycle was struck by a drunk driver Friday evening, October 4. My life was indivertibly changed that terrible night. This past week has been a flurry of anguished activity for me and my family. The tech blog went dark that night and I hope to get back to some sort of normalcy next week, in my life, at work and with this technology blog.


My brother Ian will always be in my heart.
 
The outpouring of support from my work mates, old & new friends was overwhelming. I truly appreciate all those who reached out to help or simply talk. Anyone you knew Ian either directly or through me is fully aware of the tragic loss to anyone in his circle. I was especially effected by those people who never had the opportunity to meet my brother but said that they knew how much I loved him because of the things I have said to them about Ian over the years. It was comforting to realize that my friends and work mates could actually see my love for Ian reflected in my conversations, without me ever realizing it or intending it.

A couple of years back Ian and I visited the Football Hall of Fame in Canton Ohio.

Many things will never ever be the same for me, like watching football on Sundays, taking road trips with my brother or talking to Ian about politics and music or simply enjoying a pint or 2 together.

You can't see Ian in this picture, but you can see the "Vulcan Pale Ale" he brewed for me. He made an entire case of this for me and I still (thank goodness) have some left which I will save for a very special moment.
 


Technology has always given me a sense of calm and peace, so I look forward to getting back on the horse again in the next couple of days. Until then I will continue reflecting on my brother's memory and try to get used to the idea of moving on without him during the days, weeks, months and years to come.


I look forward to exploring the world of technology with all of you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment